Please read the following information to make your booking -
ON THE CART PAGE YOU WILL SEE ADD A NOTE HERE YOU CAN INPUT THE COURSE DATE THAT YOU WOULD LIKE TO ATTEND.
You may wish to phone (09 2949005) using your credit card - direct banking or by calling into The Bee Hive unit 7 - 236 Gt South Road in Drury.
Start up offer.
WE WILL BE OFFERING SPECIAL START UP SETS FOR BOOKED STUDENTS - Please ask one of our staff to run you through our offers. (you must be booked on a course to receive this special offer).
TRAVELLING FROM OUT SIDE OF AUCKLAND WE CAN HELP YOU OUT WITH ACCOMMODATION
The Bee Hive Team will come to you and do a private courses we require 10 plus students to provide this service. (You can discuss this with Greg give him a call)
What does our beekeeping course offer you.
The Bee Hive course has been designed to provide the student with the theory and practical knowledge needed to become proficient in the art of Beekeeping. This is an entry-level course. The course structure has been designed to fit into a 2 day weekend and now a 2 day week day course - Course HOURS : Day 1 9am to 4.30 pm day 2 9am to 5pm.
Night school at The Bee Hive Drury 7pm to 9pm. The first Saturday of the course week is our practical (weather permitting) 11am to 1pm.
Our practical session is hands on with live bees on day 1 day weather permitting.
All practical sessions are weather permitting.
We provide our students with a comprehensive set of notes, folder and pen. Our students get to go into a working hive with our second tutor who is a qualified beekeeper with 30 years commercial experience. This unique opportunity gives our students a balance look at beekeeping.
We cover in our practical session the Langstroth, Top Bar and Bench Hives.
The Bee Hive Course is designed to take you through the following aspects of Beekeeping.
- History of Beekeeping in New Zealand.
- Stings, allergies and management of.
- Life cycle of the honeybee.
- Anatomy and physiology of bees.
- Beekeeping Statistics for New Zealand
- Auckland city Bylaws- (NEW 1st September 2015)
- Hive setup in Urban & Rural areas
- Your local Bee Clubs and the NBA
- How to build your hive (Build your Hive) (Inside your hive) (Wooden and Plastic frames - pros and cons) (Protective clothing)
- We cover the Langstroth, top bar, bench hives and the Flow Hive. (plus practical session on 3)
- Hive Equipment (Your Friend the Smoker)
- Hive Equipment (Queen Excluder and Pollen Traps)
- Beekeeping Equipment New and Used (Purchasing Bees for your hive)
- Hive positioning and placement.
- Now you have your bees what do you do? (Registration)
- Honey flow
- What is a bee escape? (Bee Blower) (Honey extraction time)
- Processing Honey (Legal obligations when extracting and selling honey in New Zealand) (Buy products – capping’s, wax and propolis) (Wax processing)
- How to Cream Honey
- Toxic Honey (Moving hives)
- Splitting your hive
- Hive amalgamation. (Requeening), (Requeening by supersedure), (Reputable Queen Breeders)
- International Marking Codes for Queens
- Prices for the 2014/2015 Season
- Why do we feed? (Different Types of Feeders)
- Disease, signs and symptoms.
- American Foulbrood (AFB) (Sterilising Bee Equipment)
- Varroa and Other Diseases (Bee Mutations)
- Other Varieties of Bees in your Garden
The Bee Hive has now been open for three years and in this time we have had 400 students complete our course the youngest being 9 the oldest was 82. Our students have travelled as far as Queenstown in the South Island to Kaitaia in the North. Plus one student from Australia.
The course has had a diverse range of students some of these have been, police officers, crash fire crews a judge, doctors, a Member of Parliament, farmers, builders, plumbers the list goes on. Their reasoning for doing our course - stress relief, a hobby, under stand the plight of bees and want to increase bee numbers, farmers, life style block owners, commercial growers and a change in life style -to become a full time beekeeper.
We provide light refreshments and lunch for our 2 day courses.
The feedback we have received has been very positive with students taking the next step going commercial around 5%.
We believe our course is very comprehensive and great value for the money paid.
WE OFFER A FREE HELP LINE - 9am to 5pm 09 2949005 - after hours and weekends -
027 292 4958 TEXT OR RING